We are proud to present NWP’s Permeable Skirt. This is a product which ensures the best possible living conditions for the salmon when the oxygen level in the sea is low,
- We are proud to present NWP’s Permeable Skirt. This is a product which ensures the best possible living conditions for the salmon when the oxygen level in the sea is low, said NWP’s Sales Manager, Christer Lieske.
Better quality – lower price
Permeable skirts used to be made by Salsgard. Now NWP has taken over the product and at the same time improved its quality.
- We have made a number of design changes to the product, and also strengthened it. We have many years of experience in manufacturing lice skirts, as well as a very effective production line. That combination enables us not only to improve the quality but also to lower the price.
In what way is the product now stronger?
- One of our improvements has been to fit strips right across the fabric of the skirt. This makes the skirt much stronger and more robust, and able to withstand the natural forces exerted by the sea, said Lieske.
How it works
The objective of the lice skirt is to keep lice out of the cages. A standard lice skirt is so impermeable that very little new water can get into the cages. This can result in poor oxygen levels in the summer months.
- The main benefit of the permeable skirt is that it allows more water through, which means that you maintain a good oxygen level in the cage. However, the mesh on the skirt is so fine that the lice cannot get through.
Lieske adds that poor oxygen levels are a problem mainly associated with the summer months.
- In summer, the sea is warmer and the oxygen level generally lower than at other times of the year. That means that it is even more important to achieve a throughflow of water in the cages.
- Lower oxygen levels send the salmon deeper and reduce their appetite. Obviously, this has a negative effect on production.
In winter, he recommends that operators continue to use a standard lice skirt.
- In winter, the temperature of the sea is lower, and the sea is more disturbed.
- This means that the throughflow of water in the cages happens automatically.
- An impermeable lice skirt is also more weather-resistant and robust. Winter weather conditions are generally rougher than summer conditions. This is why we recommend that operators continue to use a standard lice skirt in winter.
Lieske adds that in some locations, where weather conditions permit, aquaculture operators may be able to use the permeable skirt all year round.
The new permeable skirt means that NWP is now able to offer two different products which ensure that aquaculture operators can achieve optimum production all year round.
- By using the permeable skirt in summer and the standard lice skirt in winter, you will ensure optimum production conditions for the salmon all year round. It is a major benefit that we are now able to offer customers products that are better adapted to suit their needs.
We have been working on our lice skirt for some time now; it is designed to keep lice out of the cages in which the salmon are swimming. With the help of Framo’s pump technology, we are also able to guarantee the best possible water quality in the cages.Read more